Granola

Monday, July 4, 2016

I think granola will always be my preferred breakfast choice.  Breakfast is the only meal where I feel okay with eating the same thing over and over again.  Because I make it so often, I do have my regular recipe down to a science, but on occasion, I run out of the essentials (honey, almonds, canola oil, etc), and have to improvise.  

A little while ago, we had a random assortment of seeds lying around when I was making granola, so I tossed them all in and replaced the honey with molasses (most likely because we ran out of honey...).  The result was surprisingly pleasant.  Thus, a new granola recipe was born!



Cinnamon Molasses Granola:

6 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup pepitas (raw pumpkin seeds)
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1 Tbs millet
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp pink himalayan sea salt (table salt will work, too, but use 3/4 tsp of regular salt)
1/3 cup molasses
1/2 cup melted coconut oil

Preheat your oven to 350°F.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats, pepitas, sunflower seeds, millet cinnamon, and salt.  Stir to combine.  Pour the molasses and coconut oil over the top, and stir until they coat the oats.

Place a silicone baking sheet, or a piece of parchment paper on a rimmed cookie sheet, and spread an even layer of the granola mixture across it (about half of what is in the bowl).  Push it down with your spatula so that it sticks together to form chunks.

Bake for 12-15 minute or until the edges are beginning to turn golden brown.  If you like, remove the pan from the oven, stir the granola up with a spatula, pat back down, and place in the oven to cook for another 3 or so minutes.  Remove from the oven, let cool, and store for up to 2 weeks in a cool dry place.  Serve with plain yogurt and chocolate chips (I like Hershey's Special Dark).


Post a Comment

Landen's Birthday Blog © . Harlie Ave Design .