Apple Pie

Monday, July 4, 2016




I feel like I am a little out of season posting this, because apples are definitely a fall fruit, and we are in the height of the summer.  But let me give you a little background to why I am posting this, and maybe you will forgive me (also, who says no to tasty dessert recipes?).  

We moved into the little house (actually it feels HUGE to me, because I am used to cleaning, running and living in a 917 square foot apartment) in Provo last week.  It is a fully furnished house (Hallelujah!), and because we moved in the day the last tenants moved out, there was still quite a few items in the pantry and fridge.  

For the first few days, I was digging out 3 year old spices, ancient condiments, and expired cake mixes as I cleaned out the pantry and fridge.  In addition to these items, there were a few pieces of fruit hiding in the fridge drawers, including a large bag of apples.  

I like eating apples, but if I eat too many, they make my stomach hurt, so I decided that using them up in a dessert was probably for the best.  We had a delightful party with a bunch of my old college roommates last week, and I was able to feed all 10 of us with this tasty cobbler.  It is particularly good with ice cream.  We ate it with a hazelnut salted caramel ice cream (by Tillamook), and I couldn't have asked for a more delicious combination.  

In addition to needing to use up a stray bag of apples, I also felt that this recipe was rather festive.  Apple cobbler seems like the perfect dessert for your Fourth of July celebrations (if you live in the US.  If not, it would be a delicious dessert for your next dinner party!).  

Other Places I Have Been Lately: 
Mode:
- 10 Minimalist Principles You Can Incorporate Right Now - I was really pleased with how this post turned out.  Practical, and 100% true to me.  As I read over it, before it went live, I wanted to send a copy to everyone I know.  This is me doing that now.    
-  Tiny Kitchens That Are Totally Livable - #5 is the apartment in Lyon that we lived in last summer, in case you were curious.  I don't think I ever posted any pictures of that apartment.  It was SO small! You could step directly out of bed into the shower.  

Creative Green Living:  
- Strawberry Shortbread with Ice Cream - Gluten-free and gorgeous!  Perfect for all your summer parties.  And they are a cinch to make.    





Molasses Apple Cobbler

5 Fuji or other sweet apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
2/3 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbs molasses

1 1/2 cups flour
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup oats
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 stick unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 Tbs Molasses

1/3 cup raw almonds, chopped

In a 9x13" pan, lay the apple pieces across the bottom.  Sprinkle the sugar, vanilla, salt and molasses over the top, then with your hands or a spoon, mix the apples, until they are coated in sugar and molasses.

In a medium bowl, add flour, sugar, oats, and cinnamon.  Mix them well, then pour melted better, and molasses over the top.  Stir well, until the topping clumps.  Spread it in an even layer over the apples. Top with the raw almonds.

Cook in an oven preheated to 350°F for 30 minutes, or until your apples are soft.  I had refrigerated mine, because I made it in advance for a party, so it took slightly longer to cook.  I would plan on it cooking for closer to 45, just in case.

Top with ice cream!




Post a Comment

Landen's Birthday Blog © . Harlie Ave Design .